Over the weekend
I went to City Sports
to pick up a bathing suit
..don't think a bikini is good
for a gym pool ;)
I checked out some goggles and caps
but got confused
and was lucky that
a friend was going to give me extra that he had
I know I can swim
I grew up in lakes and oceans
My parents have a boat
My summers are spent
at Lake George and Long Beach Island
but this...this swimming...
this is just....
different
and scary
and the unknown
I attempted to go to the gym
no swim cap and no goggles
just a swim suit
and my anxious self
for a quick swim
Well... I got to the parking lot
Stepped out of my car
and turned right back around
and into the car back home
There was no way I was going into the gym that night.
So... next day
I AM DOING THIS
I got a swim cap and goggles
I AM getting in the pool
I kept watching this video
from The Notebook
Get in the water!
and a friend sent me this:
and I was getting pumped to finally do it.
Well... I got there and my first anxiety problem was solved
A lane, all to myself!
I started with a there and back
WHEW... I need to slow down
I realized I was trying to move too fast
and could barely breathe
I might be training for a sprint tri
but no reason to actually be sprinting
(in reality, I was probably still slower than elite swimmers, for only 40 meters!)
I successfully did 20 minutes in the pool
and felt so much more comfortable about it
and about the race!
Next up: BUY A BIKE!

No comments:
Post a Comment