Friday, July 26, 2013

Bike Buying Experience

This whole triathlon thing
is such a quick and sudden thing
I immediately had to go out
and search for a bike

I started a Fast Splits in Newton
where I got a lot of information
but didn't actually test any out
The next day I went to
Ace Wheel Works in Somerville
and they were pretty awesome
I got a ton of information
and got on several different bikes

I learned about some of the components
and found out that I did not like the cheapest bikes gears
So UP went the budget

But thank goodness
I (finally) finished my degree
and as a graduation parents
my parents gave me some
money towards a bike!

I found a bike that I really liked
It was a Trek Lexa S
but the guy wanted me to try
the Specialized bike that was similar
which, they didn't have built in my size
so I was scheduled to come back the next day to try it

I went back for a 3rd day of bike shopping
and immediately did not like the Specialized bike he had me on
I tried one other Trek
but kept going back to the Trek Lexa S

I didn't want to impulse buy
and I had the day off from work on Friday
so I told him I'd come back on Friday
..at which point he told me it'd be going on sale that day
Score!

After talking to a few friends the next day
I decided I was going to check out one last bike at a place in Natick
I got there and immediately noticed it was the gears I didn't like
(guess I forgot to ask/mention that)
But I asked if he had anything similar price wise and with better gears
He put me on a Fuji and it did feel good
But the customer service was terrible
The guy just didn't seem to care
and as a newbie to biking and triathlons
that really scared me so I kinda just left and said I'd call back
I went on a few errands
...bought myself a tri suit

















and looked the bike up / talked to some friends

After reading it was a good bike
and worth more than I'd be paying
I decided to go back and test it out again
After riding it for a good 5 minutes
I decided I wanted to talk numbers and that it seemed like a perfect fit for me

The price was right
The bike felt good
and it just seemed like it was MINE












About 20 minutes later
I was driving home with the bike in my car!

I can not wait to test it out on a good ride tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment