Friday, September 21, 2012

2nd half marathon


Mid-September
I made the trek to my parents house
in NY
I was running a half marathon
in my home-town
It started at my high school
I started it with 3 others girls
At about mile 4
I fell a little bit behind them
but then caught up around mile 7
A half mile later I fell back from 2 of them
I was feeling good
at a pace almost a minute faster
than the half marathon last month!
At mile 11 there is a run out & back loop
And I passed the 2 girls in front of me
on my way out there
That along with seeing my family & friends
just prior
and knowing
I was about 20 minutes from finishing
helped get me going
Mile 12.5 to the end were rough
I was just about to hit "the wall"
There was a grassy patch along the road
And a part of me just wanted to
stop
go to it
sit down
and CRY
Just then
A guy came up from behind me
And I hear him say
"Come on, beat me"
I just laughed & said
"YEA...right!!"
His response was
"No seriously..
you are going to beat me"
Ok.. let's go
We had about 1/4 mile stretch to go
We passed one guy and then
I picked it up a little bit
I hear guy next to me
"you go girl"
and just then
I saw my cousin who
already finished
"Go Chelsea, go Chelsea!"
Well..here goes nothing
I ran faster than I have ever ran before
Well.. not really
It turns out I was running a 9 minute pace
But at the 13th mile
I felt like I was sprinting a 5 minute pace!
I cross the finish line
Turn around
and give the guy
a huge high five
Finished 8 minutes PR!

My "nice and nephew"
their Mom
My grandma
My Mom
My sisters
and other family friends
were all there at the finish
I felt great and was proud of myself

Went to my cousins for some
Sunday Football party time

My body felt like I was 90 years old

The drive back to Boston sucked
due to feeling stiff and sore
But I felt pretty good the next day!

Next up:
Bay State Half Marathon in October

No comments:

Post a Comment